Friday, June 5, 2009

How can I complain?

This entire time I have kind of given you a play-by-play, but with no internet access the past few days there is simply too much to type. Instead I am going to tell you what I've learned.

Visiting the Government School for Boys taught me that the issue of sexual abuse is a problem world wide. There was an issue of this with two special-needs boys in my High School... The school in India used to lodge 800 boys, but to try and reduce the sexual abuse amongst the boys they reduced the number to 100. I was appalled when I saw their dormitories that were once used as horse stalls 60 years ago for the British.

How can I complain with any living situation in America? Nothing can be as bad as living either in horse stalls or even in some of the little so called houses that the average person lives in here in Vellore.

As we made our way to Bangelore, we all complained with the heat, and cramped quarters. When we passed buses, I saw that they were so packed that back to chest, shoulder to shoulder, and touching with no AC. Some of the men were overflowing out of the door with one foot touching the bus, the other dangling, and holding on with one hand going 100 kilos an hour. How can I complain with our semi airconditioned toyota vehicles?

When we got lost, and I was the only one who had a cellphone because the driver's phone ran out of his pre paid minutes. He didn't know English so he wouldn't pull over when we pleaded for him to stop so the other vehicle could some how find us. I jumped out when he finally did pull over so he was forced to stay put. Every girl then pleaded me to get back inside because of the danger. My "survival mode" is so different from everyone else, I was blinded by the danger and instead I talked to every man trying to find an English speaking person to find out our location. How can I complain and be mad at those girls telling me what to do and yelling at me when they had the best interest at heart. My saftey.

How can I complain about the 8 hour road trip, that should have only taken 4 hours, when God had a lesson in mind to keep us humble? How can I not rejoice in our transportation and the fact that Ruby and Michelle did find us and we were fine! How can I complain?

I learned that there is very little worth verbally complaining about. Being positive is sometimes such a challenge, but God has definitely tested me.

3 comments:

Terry Peak Photography said...

I know the whole story and I have never been so proud of anyone in my whole life babe....If you had not have done what you did all of you might have been lost for a Very Scary long time...once again you got in trouble....but you saved the day! I wish two of you would have gotten out together, the buddy system works better,"Even on blondes :o) " and you have learned a lot through everything, I know that this is a trip that you will not come back the same from and that change is going to be a life changer. I really just have to say again, I am VERY PROUD of YOU... and I love you Very much!!!

Lauren said...

"Do all things without grumbling or complaining, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of Godwithout blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I (Paul) may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering (die) upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me.- Philippians 2:12-18

I am praying for you! Shine with the love of Christ while you are there, and have joy that Christ gave you the ability to even go! You are at a place that needs the light and life that Christ gives...remember that and always rejoice with thanksgiving and love for those people!

LOVE YOU ELISE
-Lauren Lancaster

Marinda said...

Wow, Elise. This is amazing.