Friday, July 10, 2009

july 5.

I woke and showered before the other girls and decided to look for my camera in the markets because they were all closed yesterday when i went back to look. I asked every man at every cart that I had even looked at their merchandise.  None had seen the camera. My heart was broken.

I saw Kate on my way back to our Plus hostel. We went and got coffee together, where I just sobbed.

Later Elizabeth gave me advil to get rid of the physical sickness I'd accumulated with this emotion.  We all got some food which helped a bit as an anecdote as well.

I knew it was going to be hard having a light spirit, but I didn't want to not see the beautiful Florence just because I didn't have a camera. At noon we wondered again through the thief market just to find ourselves standing at the feet of th emassive and towering Duoma, Campanille, and Baptistry of all baptistries.  These three historics combine to make the most eye opening green and white achitecture. 

We circled this then sat down for lunch.  Then we paraded through town to Santa Maria Novella. We paid 2€50 for admission.  I found an empty pew on the second row and sat admiring the church while Kate and Elizabeth explored every inch as if they might find Santa Maria herself.  

Although is was only 2:00 when we backtracked to our hostel, I was exhausted. The emotional drainage within the past 24 hours was really starting to take its toll.  We all hung out at the hostel for the rest of the night occupying our time by surfing the internet, sweating in the sona, breathing in the mint steam in the Turkish bath, and of course, back in our room playing around 50 games of gin.

1 comment:

Terry Peak Photography said...

I am really looking forward to hearing about florence for sure