Saturday, January 9, 2010

My official day of Sevilla

On Friday, I woke up early to start off our tour of Sevilla. I loved getting to know all of my fellow students plus Dr. Inglis is a fun guide to listen to. He looks like the all time stereo-typed scientist with the semi-bushy silky white beard and untamed white eyebrows. He wears large lensed glasses with thin rims on a long skinny nose. He is tall and skinny with a bit of a belly whether that is from Spanish beer and olives or age...I have no idea. He wears a grey fedora with a black strip above the rim. He usually carries his canon camera around his neck to perfect his image of an old folkie australian tourist look. Ironically, he has lived in Sevilla for 35 years and completely blends in with his flawless Spanish.

He took us through the town telling us every detail from the largest gothic cathedral to the millstones on the side of buildings meant to keep the building standing tall. I loved that some of the streets have signs before you enter them with two arrows pointing outward indicating the width of a street. As in, the roads were made to accommodate to horses and carriages not vehicles. Dr. Inglis said that one time he made it through a street luckily by slowly scratching through...the lucky part was that he didn't get stuck permanently.

We walked in loops and circles looking at some of the sites. Finally, we found our way to the Texas Tech Center. It is a pink building that shows no indication of 80 white Americans gathering together daily to learn which, in my opinion, was a smart decision by the decorator of the outside. The outside actually looks as though its never been touched besides very minor details. It says Religion on the outside I believe in faded black letters. You walk up the staircase that is lined with walls covered in beautiful Spanish tiles. Once upstairs, it is a complete maze! I love it though. There are classrooms that don't take on an image too different than most classrooms, but there aren't necessarily hallways so in between classes you can forget about trying to move about through the school. The classrooms are the main way of getting to every other room.

I have my own locker! whooooooo! Its been since I was in highschool! I love it!

After the tour, we all went back to the hotel for lunch and a siesta, a nap, which is a Spanish tradition after lunch. I overslept, of course, and ran with my roommate 15 minutes back to el escuela, the school, to make it just in time for our last orientation meeting that lasted a grueling 3 hours. By the time we finished our meeting and made our way slowly back to the hotel it was already dinner time. We had soup that tasted like potatoes with croutons as decoration and then two other entrees. Spanish always has several courses.

After dinner I rushed to take a shower and get ready to go out. Around 11pm we finally walked out of the hotel. Kimberly had invited me and a few others to go to this bar to watch a Spanish trio and a flamenco dancer....we didn't realize until after we were walking to the unnamed bar with the big red door that almost thirty of us decided to go out. As you can imagine, the Spaniards were not too happy about a herd Americanos overtaking their hang-out.

Kimberly and I swerved, maneuvered, and diverged from our friends to the other side of the large sit-down bar. We were the only ones able to find a seat at this point al well. About 20 minutes into this fascinating performance of Spanish guitar, clapping hands as the drumming beat, and the Spanish woman sevillana dancing on the small platform of a stage, the man sitting in the middle of the three performers stood up and started, "Senor!" Then translated he basically said that this is his passion and when everyone is talking it is disrespectful and to shut up or leave. (I found out later) This other man walked by a few of our guys and said stupido Americanos... sooooooooo... we left shortly after!
ps. I'll post pics as soon as my luggage with my cord comes in. Yes, I am on day 5 of wearing this outfit. I can't wait until Lunes, Monday, to go shopping for clothes! andddd I have a video of the flamenco dancer, guitarist, and clapper that I'll post later. GET EXCITED!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elise I just love reading this blog. I can live vicarously through you and your trips. LOL Love ya. Cyndi B.

Anonymous said...

LOL Your are right - your description of the professor made me laugh! Well, I guess you Americanos are oing to have to mind your manners! Love you! Hope you get your luggage tomorrow! -Mom