Wednesday, February 10, 2010

again sacrifice or withhold













Remember Braids and Eyes?
Last night, after savoring the last few minutes
Talking with loved ones from home,
Greg and I ran to his apartment
Through the beginning of a soft rain storm.

Talking about Rocío
Walking down the stairs
We ran into Rocío,
Greg's house mom.
A sweet hello-goodbye
And a few extra Spanish words
Let me slip out of the complex politely.

He let me borrow her umbrella,
She didn't mind.
I was to "bring it back tomorrow"
And to walk quickly home.

Ten minutes into thought
A man ran holding his daughter
Only about four or five.
They had no umbrella
No protection to distance the
--Rain
From their face.
Though the small girl laughed
As she bounced along in her fathers arms.

I hesitated thinking of my own umbrella
I turned back and started after them
Then I thought to myself
What about Rocío's umbrella?
She will want it come tomorrow.

Do I spare this umbrella
That I need very little
To spend ten on a new one
The next day?
Do I simply turn
Back around and avoid
The eyes and the young black braid.

2 comments:

Mom said...

So what did you do? Your love for others is such an inspiration :-)

Elise Peak said...

its a mystery!