Friday, March 19, 2010

March 17th Small Small World.

She's the one squatting on the far right. What a sweetie.

Okay this is a crazy one.

We met early on the 17th to go to mass in the massive Cathedral in Toledo. We walked through the cold dark main corridor that was at the moment closed to the public. The doors opened for those who were attending the mass. We opened the the thick wooden doors that had stained glass above the entrance. This led to another sanctuary where 8 monks were chanting. They handed us little booklets that read on the left hand side the chant in Latin and then on the right hand side it was translated in Spanish. There were about 70 pages and we definitely went through all of them through out the 50 minutes we were there. I absolutely loved it. They sort of sang the chant and their deep voices reverberated off the high ceilings. I wish I had a picture to describe it better, but the altar had red carpet with a table, but the backdrop is what was so interesting. There were around 12 large paintings molded into each other to bring the top to a point with a picture of Jesus on the day of crucifixion. The colors were vibrant with gold paint on every picture. The walls were gaudy as the ceiling had a very detailed design.

After the Latin mass, we went shopping for a little bit. Then this is were you just wont believe it. Let me prep the story a little bit- I hadn't caved to McDonalds or any other American fast food restaurant until this day. Because my birthday wasn't celebrated very much, Gregabus offered to buy me Micky D's. Round one: large fry, 9 chicken nuggets, and a burger with a medium orange soda. Round two: Bacon cheeseburger, large fry, and a small coke all split between Greg and I. Ha- besides the American fix (which later made both of us feel like poo) there was a group of around 6 or 7 girls all around the age of 10 or 11. When they finished up their meal and walked by us I asked their director where they were from because their perfect English was apparent. She said, "why none other than Amarillo, Texas!" Greg and I just laughed and told her that he was from Plainview and that I was from Perryton. While I was talking to the lady about her brother being from Perryton, a little girl was talking to Greg. She told him she had moved from Perryton this last winter break. I turned around and immediately recognized her.  I asked who her mom was and you'll never guess. I was her mom's flower girl in her wedding. The little girl grew up in my church and I can remember when she was born. Wow, do I feel old. But isn't it funny to reaffirm how small this world really is?

4 comments:

Mom said...

That IS crazy!! I can see the girl who was my brownie when SHE was 10 or 11 but I can't remember her name!! What were they doing in Spain?

Elise Peak said...

I cannot remember her name for the life of me! darney. She was with the Amarillo Girls Choir. I just realized I forgot to put that detail. They are singing around Spain and she took down Colt's name just in case he knew him because he was in the Boys choir. I could have butchered that detail with her, but I was pretty sure thats right, right?

Mom said...

No, you are right - Colt was in the Amarillo Boy Choir. I didn't even know there was a Girl Choir. I am trying to remember the girl's mothers name....

Mom said...

OK - thanks to a post to Shirley Depew and a comment from Kem Balzer, I discovered that your little friend's name is either Kaylee or Claudia and her mom's name was Jaclyn Schell. Jaclyn's mom's name is Judy and plays the piano at Full Gospel. Sad news - Judy is fighting cancer so plus add her to your prayers. Love you!!!