Thursday, May 13, 2010

Venice and a little Treviso

The bench where I sat at in Treviso


I slept, or laid in bed for as long as I could listening to the trains until I decided to get going.  I took everything with just in case.  I was planning on heading into Venice, but I decided to catch a train to Treviso, where Giulio said he would love to retire to.  Well, that is exactly what Treviso is, a great to live in  not necessarily to visit. I arrived and realized there is absolutely nothing to do unless you had friends there. I took a walk along the river and after a while I found a bench where the river split in two and the bench at the point of separation.  I wrote and read just enjoying relaxing and soaking in the tranquility around me.

Around 1:15, I decided to head to the train station.  By 2:30 I was back in Venice.  Because I had turned left from the train station in Venice the day before I decided to turn right this time.  I decided later that left is better.  On the right-hand-side, the residence area and the not-so-polished side of Venice took me wondering for a good hour.  It was still beautiful, but instead of gondola's, there were motor boats- The Venecian "car."  This is the side of town where the schools, super markets, business' not based on tourism, and pharmacies were.  Finally, I walked far enough, I ran into the port where an enormous cruise ship blew its horn at me.  The sun was blazing at 3:30 and the Gelatateria was spilling out costumers with an icecream cone in each hand. I decided that was a good idea, I conformed into standing in the long line. I bought a double scoop, chocolate and mint chocolate- my favorite.

I made my way down the border and through some of the small streets to find Piazza Marco where there was a pier dock where a boat-bus would take me to Murano, the glassblowing island.

On m way, this gondolier, 22 years old, asked me if I'd like to go on a free gondola ride.  I asked him if he was serious, and he said it was no problem.  I wanted to go to Murano, but I just couldn't pass up another magical gondola ride for free!  He asked me to wait 30 minutes until he could take me... I waited at a near by plaza.

He took me around for 30 minutes telling me the history of some of the buildings.  We passed by several churches, and one place in particular, Mozart's house, that is now just an apartment complex.  The gondolier's name was Andreas.. the V.  He was the fifth generation and he was driving his dad's gondola.  He pulled it up to a different dock where he puts it at night.  he helped me out and then proceeded to cover it in tarps and secure cushions, floor boards, chairs, etc.. packed tightly together under the tarps.  Andreas told me I could stay in his motor boat, but after second thought I declined and decided just to stay in my hotel.

It was 6:20m and I still wanted to make it out to Murano.  All the glass making is in Murano now because the entire town of Venice kept burning down and it was dangerous; whereas, Murano is an island so that if a fire ever does break out, there is water all around to put it out. I took a bus boat 40 minutes around to Murano.  I walked around a bit, then I went into a glass blowing shop. The entrance had small show cases of their glass and it was covered with white canopies.  In the actual building, anything you could think of this company made and original design of it.  I bought Freda a blue glass tiny container.  I knew she'd love it.

2 comments:

Treviso Hotel said...

The place on that photo is astonishing, the perfect one to relax both body and mind while admiring beautiful surroundings.

Treviso Tourism said...

Such a gorgeous scenery I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy it.