Saturday, June 15, 2013

Pregnancy: Week 22


I am 22 weeks pregnant this week. This week by week pregnancy is so difficult to keep on track. According to my most recent ultra sound, I hit the 22nd week mark this past Wednesday, because the baby weighed 2 ounces lighter than a 22 weeker. This had me measuring at 1 week and 5 days last Monday, June 10th. I still think my original due date is right, which was October 9th. If that date would have been confirmed, I would be considered 24 weeks yesterday, the 14th. I love the science that has discovered how long it takes a baby to bake before they are ready to come out, but I'd like to know the statistics for how many babies are born on their actual due dates (these statistics aren't so easy to find).







**Photo Credit: Kat Marcum Photography

The ultra sound appointment was very interesting and completely different from the first ultra sound. Because we told the tech we didn't want to know the gender, we didn't get to see very much of the lower half of the body. I like seeing the little legs kick and squirm, but I'll see his or her legs soon enough. All of our little peanut's measurements fell slightly below the mean, but they were all still within normal limits. The heart rate was 152 bpm for all of you who like to guess the gender based on this number. (:

This is the baby's face(laying side ways)  and you can see one eye clearly at the top. 


This is baby's tiny little foot. We could actually see the toes wiggling. 

This one is my favorite. It's his or her little profile. 

The baby is the length of a papaya, which is approximately 11 inches long. According to the ultra sound, the baby weighs 14 ounces. His or her tiny tooth buds are being developed under the gums, and the eyelids, lips, and eyebrows are becoming more distinct. The eyes have fully formed, but the iris still lacks pigment.

How far along? 22 weeks
Baby is the length of a: Papaya
Total weight gain: I keep fluctuating from 17-20 pounds.
Maternity clothes? Yes - almost exclusively now
Stretch marks? No
Sleep: I have had deep sleep throughout the week, but I have only gotten 6 1/2 to 7 hours of sleep each night because I don't go to bed early enough! I have to get up around 6am every day, but I don't go to bed until around 11:30pm. Its my fault, but I love staying up late!
Best moment this week: Getting to see my sweet pea again this week through the anatomy scan ultra sound.
Movement: I feel the baby kicking pretty consistently now. The movement is always on my right side down towards my pelvic area. The baby's head was jammed into that area of my pelvis, and the ultra sound tech actually had a hard time getting the baby's head measurements because of his/her placement. She tried to jiggle my belly with the wand to get the baby to move into a different position, and she had me get up and move around. It took a good 10 minutes, but finally we were able to see great measurements of the head's circumference, lateral ventricles, and the quantified weight (I'm still not sure how they came up with that number).
Food cravings: Lime ice has still been prevalent on my craving list throughout the week, but I think Josh would agree this week I have been extra picky in what I'll eat.
Miss Anything? It's the same as last week. I am having that desire to really start getting in shape again, but I have to remind myself that I can't just go out, run, do some ab workouts, and lose weight. The baby needs that extra padding, and the workouts that I'm doing now are maintaining my muscles compared to burning fat.
Gender: We expressed to the ultra sound tech that we are not wanting to find out the gender of the baby, and she did an excellent job concealing him/her. She dimmed the outer edges of the screen whenever she moved the wand closer to the genitals in order to focus on the anatomy she had to screen instead of the baby's gender. I have to admit, it was very tempting to ask her to accidentally scroll over that area, but we did a good job of sticking to our original plan. After the ultrasound, I have an even stronger feeling of the baby being a boy for some reason.
Symptoms: I still have a high gag reflex - potent smells or brushing my teeth can still send me flying to the toilet. I haven't had any nausea or true morning sickness at all.
Belly Button in or out? In or should I say almost level with my belly?
Wedding rings on or off? On
Mood? I have been in a fantastic mood over all. I had one rough day this week, but it was a short lived bad mood.
Looking forward to: I'm looking forward to spending time in the garden this weekend. I do not have any time during the week to even water, but I hope to spend several hours this weekend harvesting, weeding, and watering.

4 comments:

Rica said...

1) youre gorgeous and so is baby p+h
2) gimme that headband! or you know, tell me where you got it :-D

Elise Hurst said...

1) THANK YOU so much!
2) I got it at Anthropologie! There are so many different kinds too, but I liked the simple gold one! (; Here's a link to them

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/category/hair+accessories/accessories-hair.jsp

ENJOY!

Meredith Moorman said...

These are my favorite pictures so far!!! Loving your bump. Miss y'all so much...Baby Hurst is such a cutie! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I don't know where you would find due date statistics but your came into the world 5 days early and Colt came 2 days early, so there's my contribution to the research :-) My favorite is the profile picture, too, but I still love the one from the last sonogram the best where it looks like he/she is sucking their thumb. Still my screensaver on my cell phone. Can't wait to replace it with the "real" thing.

I love you!
-Mom