Monday, June 24, 2013

Pregnancy: Week 23


This past week I was 23 weeks pregnant. I actually took these pictures with Kat last week, but I've had a lot on my plate and a lot on my mind, which is why it took me a little longer to write it.  I've been reflecting on my blessings throughout the week reading about and talking to my pregnant friends. I am lucky that my baby and I am 100% healthy. Around 50% of my (wanting/expecting/post-delivery) friends are either experiencing severe nausea/morning sickness, having signs and symptoms of preeclampsia, having hemorrhaging intestines, having trouble getting pregnant, or their baby is having a health issue. At this point, I don't have very comforting words to them being fertile and healthy, but I pray that each of these women and their babies are protected and comforted by our gracious Lord. I thank God daily for my current health and many other blessings.

Baby Hurst is moving right along weighing in at 1 pound! I weighed out exactly 1 pound of peaches at the market, which ended up being 5 of them! The baby is more than 11 inches long too! If you can imagine, the baby is long and skinny with very loose peach-fuzz skin ready to be filled in the following weeks with more tissue/muscle/fat. That way the baby will be all squishy and lovable. The blood vessels in the lungs are now developing to prepare for breathing. The baby's cochlea (the inner ear that processes all those sounds waves) is now fully formed making his/her hearing even clearer!












***Photo credit: Kat Marcum Photography

How far along? 23 weeks
Baby weighs the same as: 5 small peaches
Total weight gain: I've been consistently weighing in at 19 pounds gained
Maternity clothes? Yep and loving the comfortable waist band of the pants
Stretch marks? No - I still have an unrealistic hope that I wont get any
Sleep: Just fine... I'm finally getting used to sleeping on my side, and when I'm on my back during the night, Josh is good about rolling me over.
Best moment this week: Getting to spend time at Camp Can Do with kids that need physical, occupational, or speech/language therapy. They were a blessing to me this past week.
Movement: I'm thinking this baby isn't going to be the most laid back little guy/girl. The baby moves all the time, but I feel like we bond so much through the movements. I feel more in tune with our little peanut knowing which positions make him/her more uncomfortable. The baby always squirms when I am sitting and leaning forward.
Food cravings: This week has still been lime ice and then peaches. I can't get enough really. But more than cravings, I have been extra picky, which is not how I eat at all. I'm normally okay with anything under the sun.
Miss Anything? I miss excessive amounts of coffee. MMMMmmmm drinking a cup of bottomless black drip coffee while reading a book for hours on end at a coffee shop sounds amazing. Too bad I can't have that much caffeine or even have that much time to spend at a coffee shop.
Gender: The mystery continues - It is interesting that almost everyone I know is having a girl with the exception of 2 friends (out of 20).
Symptoms: None - just big belly syndrome.
Belly Button in or out? My belly button is still considered in, but not for long.
Wedding rings on or off? On
Mood? I have been a little more irritable than normal - if you figure out why I've been like this other than pregnancy, then let me know because I still don't understand it. 
Looking forward to: Making homemade pesto with all of my basil!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwww... sing "I see the moon" to my peanut since he/she can hear it now :-) I, too, am grateful to our Lord for you and bebe's continuing health, something I pray about almost every day. I love you (and your blog!)

-Mom

P.S. Your hair is getting SO long! Those prenatal vitamins are doing their job!!