Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pregnancy: Week 27

This past week (July 15-21) I have been 27 weeks pregnant! I've decided to add a poll to see who all thinks the baby will be a girl or boy. To the left of the screen, there is a simple boy or girl poll! I know a bunch of you read these posts, thanks to Google Analytics, so take a second and click either boy or girl!  It is also completely anonymous, so no need to feel pressure! In honor of the poll I have posted, I decided to take some wives tales comparing symptoms/signs during pregnancy to decide the gender of the baby and let you know how my body has reacted to these.

The old wives tales are as follows:
  1. If you are carrying high, the baby will be a girl. If you are carrying low, the baby will be a boy. 
    • I'm carrying pretty high.
  2. If you are experiencing acne, the baby will be a girl. If your face is clear and glowing, the baby will be a boy.
    • I've had both acne and bacne (back acne.. gross huh?)
  3. If you are craving sweets, the baby will be a girl. If you are craving salty and sour foods, the baby will be a boy. 
    • I have craved more spicy foods, actually, but I would say I've craved salty/sour foods over sweets. 
  4. The Chinese gender calendar uses the mom's birthday and the month & year of conception to determine if the baby is a girl or boy.
    • My birthday is March 16, 1990 & we conceived in January 2013. The Chinese gender calendar from 3 different websites said I am having a girl.
  5. If you have dry hands during pregnancy, the baby will be a boy. If you have soft hands during pregnancy, the baby will be a girl. 
    • Sometimes my dry hands wake me up in the middle of night and I have to go put lotion on to go back to bed. 
  6. If your age and year of conception are both odd or even, the baby will be a girl, but if one is even and one is odd, the baby will be a boy. 
    • I was 22 and of course the year is 2013.
  7. If you are having an increase in headaches, the baby will be a boy. If you aren't experiencing any headaches, the baby will be a girl.
    • I am not experiencing any headaches; although, I had headaches for a week at the beginning of my 2nd trimester. 
  8. If your nose size has increased, the baby will be a boy. If there has been no increase or your nose has gotten smaller, the baby will be a girl.
    • My nose really hasn't changed. It's my cheeks that have gained the weight!
  9. If you are having continuous nausea & morning sickness, the baby will be a girl. If you have had little to no nausea or morning sickness, the baby will be a boy.
    • I was nauseous and had morning sickness for only 3 weeks in my first trimester, but it was pretty severe for the entire 3 weeks!
  10. Lastly, if you have excessive leg hair, the baby will be a boy. If you have the same amount of less leg hair, the baby will be a girl.
    • I'm pretty sure I have not grown any extra hair on my legs since being pregnant. 
So 6 out of 10 of the myths say I am having a girl and 4 say I am having a boy. We'll just have to see. Baby Hurst, may they be a girl or boy, weighs almost 2 pounds, which is the same as a head of a cauliflower. The baby is 14 1/2 inches long with legs extended. Now Baby Hurst is practicing full sleep & wake cycles - may that only be short intervals at a time. Baby Hurst may even be sucking on his or her fingers developing the muscles in the mouth used for sucking. 








***Photo Credit: Jenny Mostad, my dear friend who is also pregnant, documented my photos for me this week!***

How far along? 27 weeks
Baby weighs as much as a: Head of cauliflower
Total weight gain: I've gained up to 23-25 pounds, and I'm pretty sure the extra few pounds have all been in my face! So I guess pregnant women lose their "baby fat" too after giving birth.
Maternity clothes? At work I've been wearing normal cotton t-shirts, but they are almost to the point of not cutting it. They are barely long enough to cup the bottom of my belly. I'm having to wear undershirts to "lengthen" my shirts! Don't worry, I have several summer maternity shirts and way long enough! They will just have to wait until after my internship is over.
Stretch marks? Not any more or new ones.
Sleep: I will sleep better when Josh gets back from Texas!
Best moment this week: Coming home to Kentucky and being greeted by two of my best friends, Jeff & Anne Corey, was a pretty great moment. Anne Corey's granny cooked home made Kentucky fried chicken, farmer's market green beans, mashed potatoes, gravy, fancy salad with fresh veggies and fruit, rolls, and Paula Deen's banana pudding! Then we played "Kemps," a card game, for almost 2 hours! It was a night full of laughter (especially because of Granny's comments throughout the game)!
Movement: The baby has moved non-stop the past 5 days! Sometimes it is a big movement, but most of the time it feels like continuous small movements. I still haven't actually seen the movement and it all occurs 2-3 inches below my belly button. I'm excited to feel the baby's movements on the top of my belly one of these days.
Food cravings: My cravings have been almost non-existent. I haven't had much of an appetite until food is in front of my face. I'm thankful for Jeff & Anne Corey this week. Other than Sunday's dinner, they have cooked for me 3 days in a row!
Miss Anything? I'm just missing my husby as he is in Texas still (how many times can I mention how much I miss him in one post?), but that really has nothing to do with pregnancy. (;
Gender: The baby's gender is a surprise. At this point I'm hoping we have a boy, because we do not have any girl names picked out!
Symptoms: I've had morning sickness twice this week, but my shallow breathing has gotten way better.
Belly Button in or out? Same as last week - The belly button is out, but it is still not visible through the shirt.
Wedding rings on or off? On
Mood? I have probably been a little irritable, but it is no fun living all alone!
Looking forward to: I think everyone can conclude I cannot wait for my babe to fly back home this upcoming Tuesday!

No comments: