Monday, August 5, 2013

Pregnancy: Week 29

These past days (July 30 - Aug 5) of being 29 weeks pregnant went by quickly. I finished up my last summer duties for school and I've filled my time hanging out with friends or cleaning. Today I had my glucose testing and actually had a pleasant experience! Most women have told me they dread this testing day where they have to drink an orange syrupy drink and sit in an office for an hour without using the restroom or eating before having their blood taken. I had the choice to drink the syrup/orange drink or eat Jelly Bellies. The jelly beans had to be the Jelly Belly brand, and I had to eat 18 of them within 5 minutes approximately 45 minutes before I arrived at my appointment. I got the assorted flavor bag and went to town on them as Josh drove me to the Womankind Midwifery clinic! I was in and out in 15 - 20 minutes!

Josh and I were also able to tour the labor and delivery unit at St. Joseph East Hospital where we'll be bringing our little one into the world. The laboring rooms are huge! They have all sorts of tools to use during labor such as a birthing ball, birthing tub, etc... There is only one birthing tub, but they recommended we call and reserve it when we are on our way to the hospital on THE day. I was impressed with the resources they made available to the mother and family. There was a fully stocked kitchen for us to use, a comfortable couch Josh could easily sleep on, and the back cushion of the couch can even be unfolded and made into another bed on the floor. My anxiety level of where we are supposed to arrive, check in, deliver, and recover just decreased tremendously! Now only 10 more weeks!

Baby Hurst is just toddling along only gaining 1/4 pound this week weighing a total of 2 1/2 pounds, the same as a red cabbage. Baby Hurst should be measuring a smidge over 15 inches from head to heel. His or her heart beat was 130 bpm today at our appointment! Muscles and lungs are continuing to mature and the baby's head is growing bigger to make more room for the developing brain! As far as milestones, the baby is just maturing. He or she has everything you or I have but they just may not be ready to come into our harsh world yet. About 250 milligrams of calcium is deposited into his or her hardening skeleton each day. Every organ, limb, or system is just on the tail end of developing in this gestational journey.

***Don't forget to vote, if you haven't, whether you think baby Hurst is boy or girl!***







***Photo Credit: Josh, my husband, captured these photos***

How far along? 29 weeks
Baby weighs the same as a: Red cabbage
Total weight gain: I have weighed between 26-28 pounds gained this week. I'm not necessarily liking the steep incline of weight that I have gained in these past few weeks, but if the baby needs the extra cushioning I'm alright with gaining more!
Maternity clothes? It's basically an all or nothing kind of deal. I wear all maternity clothes or nothing at all!
Stretch marks? No new ones and still none on my baby bump.
Sleep: Sleep has been usual. I've still been getting up several times a night to use the restroom, and our nurse at the midwifery clinic said this could be a sign of a UTI. She said UTIs can be asymptomatic in pregnancy and I could actually have one without knowing it. She took a urination sample and we'll see if I have one... Hopefully not!
Best moment this week: My favorite moment this week was baking cookies with Louisa! I don't know what was more enjoyable - having girl time for a couple hours in good conversation with such a dear friend or sinking my teeth into those pumpkin macadamia nut white chocolate chip cookies! Both were amazing!
Movement: The baby is still at it moving like crazy around my lower abdomen. I thought the baby was in breech with his or her feet kicking at the bottom side of my uterus, but the nurse today said the head is actually at the bottom with his or her bum underneath my ribs. So all of that movement is either his or her head moving around or some hands and arms waving and jabbing.
Food cravings: I have gone back to craving spicy foods. The hotter the jalapeƱos the better!
Miss Anything? I missed eating raw cookie dough this week! Dang those raw eggs!
Symptoms: The only symptom I've had this week is getting out of breath a lot faster. When I walk upstairs, I always have to take a minute to catch my breath. Today, I was emptying out our desk (because we sold it - yay!) and I had to take a break, because I was panting!
Belly Button in or out? Its basically flesh with my skin at this point.
Wedding rings on or off? On! I'm hoping they fit for the next 11 weeks.
Mood? I've still been on a roller coaster wanting to be a little more introverted than normal, but I have still been thankful for good company!
Looking forward to: Tomorrow Josh and I leave for Texas and I cannot wait for our two showers next Saturday and Sunday!

Check out babyhurst.com to see the Midland shower invite, sign the guest book, or see where Josh and I are registered for baby Hurst.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a little teary eyed reading your blog this week! What the heck? I guess it's because I have always missed you the most right before I see you or right after I see you. I am so looking forward to you getting here and feeling that baby move!!

I love you!
-Mom

Roxan Arntson said...

Hi, Elise! Exciting times! Did you find out the gender or will you be surprised too?

Elise Hurst said...

We didn't find out the gender either. I know I wouldn't be able to keep it a surprise if I did!