Friday, September 13, 2013

Pregnancy: Week 34

Again, I waited a little long to publish the post of week 34 of my pregnancy, especially since I am now 35 weeks!

 I want to dedicate this post to the upcoming Mesothelioma Awareness Day, which is on September 26th. Heather Von St. James, who I have gotten to speak with via email, is an incredibly fearless woman who survived malignant mesothelioma cancer. The prognosis of those diagnosed with mesothelioma is very dim with people not normally living past 15 months. Not only was this a crippling diagnosis to receive alone, but Heather had a 3 1/2 month old newborn! I am enamored by her drive and positive attitude through all of this!  Her journey is one to hear and share as there is still little awareness of mesothelioma. Please watch the video of Heather's story and click here to learn more about mesothelioma and Heather.

Malignant mesothelioma is a rare type of cancer that occurs in the thin layer of cells lining the body's internal organs, known as the mesothelium. 



Baby Hurst is up to no good... or everything good this week! Half of the time I am pushing a tiny foot or elbow back into my belly, because baby Hurst likes to stretch out and, thus, take my breath away. The other half of the time I am intrigued by the movements and cannot look away knowing my sweet pea is just getting comfortable in such a tight space. Baby Hurst weighs around 4 3/4 pounds, about the size of a cantaloupe. He or she is almost 18 inches long from tip to toe.







***Josh took these when I was 34 weeks and 6 days***

How far along? 34 weeks
Baby is the size of a: Cantelope
Total weight gain: Still at 30 pounds gained
Maternity clothes? My maternity shirts are starting to get a little snug. These are the clothes that were so long they were practically touching my knees! How does this even happen?
Stretch marks? A tiny one about 1 1/2 inches long on my belly, but somehow it has already faded a lot. I can barely see it. It is the same spot where baby Hurst LOVES to either kick or dig his or her elbow into. It's on the left of my belly button.
Sleep: I haven't gotten a lot of sleep recently due to so many events happening this week! Two of my good friends had their babies this week! One of them, Lauren Furlong's, I was actually present for in her home when she delivered her sweet baby boy, Edmond Isaac on September 10th. I was holding her daughter of 18 months in the moment of delivery and the entire experience couldn't have been more euphoric. Then my friend, Jenny Mostad, had her sweet baby girl, Delia Mae on the 12th. In addition to the baby-ness of my week, I've been quilting my heart out to finish baby Hurst's baby quilts. I made two different ones depending on the gender of the baby. Plus, I've been working on gathering information for my case studies in my oral comps exam that I'll present in January. I want to get all of that out of the way before baby Hurst comes! So... I would say I've gotten less sleep than normal. I have way too much on my mind.
Best moment this week: Witnessing a water birth was probably the coolest thing I have ever seen. It was definitely the best moment. Holding each of the new borns this week was also high on my list.
Movement: Movement has been outrageous and all over the place! I still haven't captured it well on video, but I will!
Food cravings: Jalepeños still.
Miss Anything? All of the intramurals are starting up and I didn't sign up. It was quite sad! I miss playing volleyball!
Symptoms: No symptoms this week! I've been extra tired, but I think that's due to my busy week.
Belly Button in or out? Full out there.
Wedding rings on or off? On! I think my fingers were kind of swollen a little bit last week, but they are back to normal.
Mood? I have to admit I have been pretty grumpy, but the only one who has known this is Josh. We had to sit down and take turns saying positive things about each other, because all I could think of were negative things. My first "positive" comment was, "I like that you eat so much." Josh just laughed and said that isn't necessarily positive, but it is better than saying something negative.
Looking forward to: Our leadership retreat for the youth group! It is this weekend and should be a time of revitalizing and regrouping to further lead the youth of our church. I'm excited to be a part of it all (somewhat) this year.

2 comments:

Andy Hurst said...

Elise you are doing so well and living so beautifully. As God is allowing for you to be the source of life for baby Hurst you allow him to be the Source of your life. Let him take care of your heart. We love you! We love all three of you! Grandpa hurst

Anonymous said...

Josh is doing a great job as photographer!! I love all of these pictures but that second one of MY sweet pea's face is my favorite :-) That dress is so pretty!! Baby will be here before we know it!!

I love you!
-Mom