Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pregnancy: Week 40


I don't think I have mentioned my birth plan at all, so I'll do so now in my 40 week post! We took the Bradley Method birthing class, which is based on natural child birth. It taught Josh how to be fully involved as the "birthing coach" throughout the labor. I really want to labor and birth without induction, an epidural, any narcotics, or pitocin. That's the plan anyway. We have the most amazing midwife, Melissa Courtney, who is not only nationally renown, but is an incredible care provider. Here are some of her recent stats:

C-Section rate of 7% including repeat requests and 3% if you omit the repeat c-section requests
A 95% success rate for VBAC
A 80% success rate for unmedicated birth for those that choose that option
A 0% episiotomy rate
The biggest baby she has every caught was 13 1/2 pounds over an intact perineum!
**The stats were snagged from improvingbirth.org**

That being said we hope to labor at home and let my water break when it needs to break. We'll head up to the hospital when my contractions are 3-4 minutes apart lasting about a minutes each and lasting for an hour long. The hospital has an incredible birthing tub, so hopefully I'll get that particular room at Saint Jo East in Lexington. Comment or email me if you'd like a copy of our birth plan.


So this is what you are all interested in --> 
This morning I felt "cramps" during my theology of healing class I am auditing, and I told my friend Dorrie I felt like these could possibly be contractions. Later in the afternoon we went to my 40 week prenatal appointment, and Kendra, our favorite nurse, started to measure the baby's heartbeat with the doppler. She stopped, because she said she couldn't measure the heartbeat while I am having a contractions. So as soon as she confirmed I was having real contractions I started to cry immediately. Melissa came in and did another exam. She said I was 90% effaced and 2 cm dilated.

Josh and I came home and have been in prelabor ever since. I am starting to go into active labor so next time I post I will probably have an epic picture of a tiny human with characteristics of both Josh and me! Yay baby Hurst!





***These were taken in my home by Josh - nothing special. I am having a contraction in the picture of me on the ball, y'all!***

How far along? 40 weeks
Baby is the size of a: A pumpkin (20 inches)
Total weight gain: 38 pounds (the baby should weigh 7.5 pounds now)
Maternity clothes? All preggo clothes, but not for long!!!!!
Stretch marks? Negative on the belly.
Sleep: All I do is dream about labor in my dreams and now it's finally happening.
Best moment this week: Right now... beginning labor is the most exciting thing to happen in a long time.
Movement: Movement is a little different. The baby has moved so low that he or she doesn't move as much and the contractions make the baby squirm a little.
Food cravings: I still crave jalapeƱos like crazy... it'll never end, but today I wanted alfredo sauce with angel hair and chicken. Josh tried his best. He got me bowtie pasta with alredo, but no meat. He tried putting turkey sandwich meat in the sauce, but I abruptly stopped the madness.
Miss Anything? I don't miss anything. I am looking forward to kissing the sweet face of my son or daughter.
Symptoms: At my 40 week check up I was 2 cm dilated and 90% effaced. The baby was at 0 station (hopefully I am saying that correctly). We decided to go ahead and get my membranes stripped to get things going a little quicker.
Belly Button in or out? Out.
Wedding rings on or off? On.. yay (;
Mood? REALLY EXCITED!
Looking forward to: Meeting baby Hurst.

3 comments:

Kreative Styles said...

Oh my gosh!! Go Elise go!!!!!!!

Mary B. said...

hooray! so excited for you guys!

Anonymous said...

LOL OK - I may be a little delirious because I'm so tired and can't sleep but your "stop the madness" over the turkey sandwich meat in the alfredo got me tickled and now I can't stop laughing about it! You stuck to your guns, sweet girl, and did such an incredible job bringing our precious Shep into the world. He is one blessed boy to have you and Josh as mommy and daddy!!

I love you!
-Mom