Saturday, November 15, 2014

2nd Pregnancy: Week 11



I have been getting the usual "Congratulations! So were you guys trying for a second baby?" Well, I like to be vulnerable and honest with these kinds of things, so here is the spill. I actually had the ParaGard copper IUD. I got this IUD this past April, for two reasons. First of all, I am terrible at taking birth control consistently and I wanted to really plan out my second pregnancy. Secondly, the ParaGard is hormone free so it wasn't adding any artificial hormones to my body. I thought this was a great idea! The ParaGard is 99.4% effective.


I am that .6% statistic, people - or, rather, this sweet baby is. 
No, we weren't trying, but both mine and Josh's immediate reactions were excited as soon as we found out! God has a funny way of reminding me how miraculous He is, and how we can't control every little thing in our lives, despite our efforts. 
I walked in to my midwives' office for a check up, and I told the receptionist this appointment was going to be a little different than we had anticipated. I told her I had just took a pregnancy test that was positive, and I had an IUD. She very calmly said, "okay, I'll let Melissa know."  She closed the glass window and went to the back and exclaimed with slight panic to two nurses, "Elise Hurst is here, and she is PREGNANT! AND she has an IUD!" Then I heard the two nurses gasp. It was partially humorous, because it was so dramatic. Then I was slightly freaked out, because maybe I didn't think it was as big of a deal as it needed to be. Later I found out the nurses and receptionist were freaking out, because they all had IUDs and had no intentions of ever getting pregnant again. Thus, my story was slightly terrifying. 
Although this is awesome news, I have to really cut down all the stress on my body. That means cutting down on CrossFit and extracurricular lifting. They did allow me to run my 1/2 marathon as long as I took it easy. I ended up running the race almost 1 minute per mile slower than I had been training for, but it still ended up being an awesome run! 





Josh and Shep met me for my appointment. Melissa explained the possible outcomes of removing the IUD. She explained this could cause a miscarriage, because the IUD itself could pull the baby out with it (TERRIFYING). However, keeping it in would put my chances of having a miscarriage throughout my pregnancy at 50%. She highly recommended taking it out, so I agreed with the removal. Thankfully, everything went fine and no miscarriage happened! 

A week later, I was scheduled for an ultra sound where we heard the heart beat. The radiologist found 2 subchorionic hemorrhages, which are basically two blood sacks inside my uterus attaching the subchorionic vessels, which attach to the baby. These are actually common and resolve on their owns many times, but if they are growing or if they burst, again, a miscarriage could occur. We went back a week later when I was 9 weeks along, and thankfully the hemorrhages had not grown. 




11 weeks 2 days

How far along? 11 weeks
Baby is the size of a: lime
Total weight gain:  None yet!
Waist Measurement: 31 inches - this is where I see the biggest change already. 
Maternity clothes? Nope - still in my regular clothes, but I can tell my tummy has definitely gotten bigger!
Stretch marks? None. Too early for that.
Sleep: This part is already miserable! I have been getting up 3-4 times a night to use the restroom already!
Best moment this week: 
Movement: None yet!
Food cravings: I haven't had any consistent cravings yet. I HAD to have donuts the other day. Okay, it was actually 3 days in a row, and then I was over it. Sauteed jalapenos sound disgusting though - very unlike my last pregnancy. 
Miss Anything? I already miss going hard during workouts, but I am just trying to take it easy. 
Symptoms: I have had "morning sickness" every morning when I brush my teeth. Just when I think I almost get through the brushing teeth routine, I'll start gagging. It never fails. 
Belly Button in or out? In
Wedding rings on or off? On
Mood? Good! Just pretty tired. I am not used to waking up so frequently!
Looking forward to: This weekend! I haven't had a date night in a long time, and I am looking forward to just spending time with my babe. 

2 comments:

btrbirth said...

Pelvic rcok to help the night time waking to pee. :)

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so glad you are doing this for #2!! I love you!

-Mom