Wednesday, December 24, 2014

2nd Pregnancy: Week 16

This past week I was thankful this little bean was still in my stomach and I wasn't traveling cross-country with two sickly babies. Quickly after the news about my grandpa passing, I finished up paperwork at my job and headed home. We scrambled to put together a suitcase to last me two weeks and Josh and Shepherd 3 1/2 weeks in Texas. We packed Shep's suitcase by throwing a load of laundry that probably needed 10 more minutes to fully dry straight in to his bag. Folding was low on the list of priorities, but don't worry - we had enough time to pack up our grinder, french press, scale, electric kettle, and fresh Kifu coffee beans. 

Within an hour, we had our car packed and real Christmas tree undecorated and on the porch for another family to pick up and enjoy for Christmas. We timed it perfectly so that we left right when Shepherd needed to go down for a nap. Two hours from our house, I looked back to see Shep awake and playing with what looked like a soggy cracker. Then I noticed his hands were all sticky. I looked over his car seat and, to my dismay, he had thrown up all over himself. He wasn't even mad about it, but he wasn't sure what to do with the mess all over his body. 

We immediately pulled over on the side of the highway. Josh stripped him down to his diaper outside of the car as I tried to clean his car seat out the best as wipes would let me. At this point Shep was crying and shivering. We switched, and I took Shep to change his diaper in the front seat while Josh tried to detail clean the now reeking car seat. I dressed Shep on my lap and just held him for a while until he warmed up. Finally we got back on the road and stopped about an hour and a half later for dinner at Panda Express. (that choice was all Josh's)

Shepherd was doing great! He was laughing, walking around, and ate almost all of his yogurt we gave him for dinner. I noticed his outfit was a little wet so I went to change him. OF FREAKING COURSE there was no changing table. Normally, I rage about sexism with there being no changing table in the men's restroom, but, seriously, not even in the women's?! Mad. Instead of just blatantly putting Shep on top of the table, I pushed two chairs together and changed him there. Except it wasn't just any diaper change. He had a diarrhea blow out. Everyone in the restaurant was watching. Josh was running out to the car to get a change of clothes while I am gagging from the smell (pregnancy can really get to me sometimes). For the second time that day, Shep got a wipey bath, but this time it was public. I dressed Shep and apologized for changing him out in the open, but I did politely suggest they get a changing table. 

About 15 minutes back in to our car ride, we here the gagging noises start and the yogurt vom odor fill the air. Josh pulled over in the nearest gas station. We had given Shep a lot of water so this time, the throw up was not so easily wiped out. I ended up sitting Shep naked in the gas station sink cupping and pouring warm water over him. Josh ended up having to disassemble the fabric, wash it out, and dry it with the hand dryer. Then instead of dumping the throw up in to the sink from the bottom of the car seat, he, in the moment (God love him), decided it was a good idea to dump it all on the restroom floor and clean the floor up. Once he stepped out of the restroom, Josh realized he had trailed Sheppy vomit all throughout the gas station. He went back and tile by tile wiped down the throw up. I bet the place has never been cleaner or more violated.  

Lord.

With a slightly damp carseat, overly Febreezed car, and some Pedialyte, we were headed off again. I won't say who but one of us also had gas that was comparable to three day old road kill. We used the plastic sack I kept around incase of nausea for Shep's dirty clothes. I was starting to get nauseas from all the smells. Josh just told me, "if you need to throw up just do it in a diaper." This made for a very pleasant rest of the drive. We finally made it to Tulsa at 3am  Eastern time 2am Central time. Josh took a shower with Shep attempting to get the stench out of his hair and clean where we might have missed. We had arrangements for Shep to sleep in a pack-n-play at my cousin's house and a crib at Josh's parents house over the holiday. We completely forgot about what we were going to do once we got to Josh's sister's house. Shep is NOT the type to cosleep so that wasn't an option. We made a pallet of blankets on the floor for him instead. We gave him a bottle of milk (which we have been trying to ween him of) and Josh laid down with him trying to get him to fall asleep. 

Fail. Once he finished his milk, he was ready to play. Josh got a little more milk in his bottle and laid him in bed with us trying to get him, again, to fall asleep. Not even 5 minutes of having him lay down, he throws up in Haley's bed! For the second time that night, Josh took another shower with Shepherd. We stripped Haley's pillow cover as that is where most of the throw up landed, and around 3:30am Central time Haley and I ended up asleep in her bedroom. Shep was wide awake. Josh sacrificed and played with him in the living room for the rest of the night. He said Shep slept for about an hour on the foot of the couch with him. We got up at 7: 15am, ate breakfast with Haley, and left for Texas at 9am. I drove for the next two hours, and Josh drove the last 2 and a half. Josh got about a 15-minute-nap, but he wasn't able to sleep in the car. I, however, am the queen of car naps and slept the remainder of the car ride as did Shep. We made it to  my grandma's house in one piece. 

I promise for this next little one, I will be way more prepared for this sort of thing! 



16 weeks and 4 days

How far along? 16 weeks
Baby is the size of a: Avocado
Total weight gain: 7 pounds

Waist Measurement: I haven't measured this week as we've been out of town. 
Maternity clothes? Just a couple of shirts. I have about wore out my only pair of jeans I packed for this trip. I clearly wasn't calculating that one pair of jeans will not do for 2 weeks of vacation. 
Stretch marks? Nope
Sleep: Sleep has been great when I can get it. 
Best moment this week: Rejoicing with family and friends that my Grandpa Joe Bob is not suffering anymore. 
Movement: I am certain I felt a tiny jab. It felt like one ninja finger poke on the right side of my belly button or just below that area. I have no idea what else it could be, but I haven't felt anything else. 
Food cravings: I have NOT been wanting sweets. Salty and sour sounds good, but nothing specific still. 
Miss Anything? I miss not being able to wear my clothes! 
Gender: We could find out the gender in the next couple of weeks, but Josh and I decided to torture the grandparents and aunts/uncles again by not finding out the gender. 
Labor Signs: No
Symptoms: Same as usual. Nausea and vomiting. Although the day of my grandpa's funeral I couldn't keep a single thing down. I had my usual morning sickness, but then I ate breakfast and couldn't keep that down. Then I threw up again, because my stomach was empty, which causes the nausea in my pregnancy. After the funeral and graveside I threw up my lunch and later dinner. I just gave up. We decided this was a stomach bug, not so much pregnancy. I woke up the next morning and felt like a million bucks. Crazy weird 24 hour virus.. 
Belly Button in or out? In? It is definitely changing. 
Wedding rings on or off? On
Mood?: Exhausted

2 comments:

Kirstin Dodd said...

Fun post!

I've had my share of vomit soaked adventures my self. Aren't they just the best!

We are both so blessed to have such precious baby boys.

Hope your Christmas was wonderful.

Elise Hurst said...

I completely agree about our boys, Kirstin! Happy New Year's!!!