Tuesday, February 17, 2015

2nd Pregnancy: Week 24

Last week went by with chaotic happenings shadowing all my everyday routines. I barely remembered I was pregnant or even thought about how much more chaos will be added to it all when this baby comes. After the lice mayhem, we packed up and left for North Carolina for a ski trip with the youth group at our church. 

After about 2 hours in the bus, we all noticed how astronomically hot we were all getting. I thought it was just me with my ridiculous hormones, but, no, I wasn't just crazy pregnant Elise. The air conditioner was not working and the heat could not be turned off. After about an hour of mind boggling heat steaming up the windows in a bus, we pulled over in a vacant parking lot to fix the problem and let everyone cool off. We all stumbled out of the bus to catch a breath of fresh air. It did not take more than 2 minutes before I was freezing and wanted back on. After 30-40 minutes of unresolved phone calls to the Volvo company and maintenance crew and flicking every knob that could be turned, we loaded back on to the bus and just dealt with the heat by opening up the overhead emergency exits to let in the icy air. 

I was actually worried about this five and half hour bus ride, because Shepherd would not be in a car seat and could make this trip either very enjoyable or intolerable. Surprisingly, he did AWESOME! He played and played with everyone who would look his direction. He had one 5 minute crying stint. At this point it was 2 hours past his usual bedtime, and he was so exhausted he did not know how to let himself fall asleep. I held him and sang "Jesus Loves Me" so many times I lost count while Josh scratched his back. Finally he fell asleep on a pillow all sprawled out taking up two seats. Josh and I took turns watching him as he would roll around in his sleep. He almost completely rolled off before I could catch him, but I kept a better eye on him after that. 

Shepherd was not the problem at all though. Having an enormous belly was actually the problem and the most uncomfortable thing when sitting on a bus for 8 hours - yes, that is how long it took us total with stopping for food and our AC breakdown. (This is without mention of how hot I was) Anytime I tried to reach for my bag under my seat or grab Shep's ball that fell on the floor over and over I would need to bend at the abs to reach down between my seat and the seat in front of me.  

That. Is. Not. Possible. For. This. Lady. 

I could not simply "bend at the abs." I would have to roll on my side on the seat and scrap blindly for the object or somehow squeeze these baby-making-hips in the aisle between the seats to get on all fours and crawl around. Finally towards the end of that bus ride I just said, "screw it," and anything that was out of my reach was declared forever "all gone" as I would sign to Shep. This was unless the young-blooded  high schoolers with six packs decided to pick up whatever Shepherd decided to throw on the ground that time. E.g. chapstick, his ball, my pen, his milk, etc...

I still hadn't had any pregnancy sick symptoms in over a week, but of course I had to break my record on a bus ride such as this. Let's just say I shouldn't have eaten lasagna for lunch before I jumped on that bus, and bus toilets are not meant to be thrown up in. I said a prayer for the students sitting at the back of the bus to have decreased sense of smell for the next however many hours until we got off the bus. God bless their souls. I did not make eye contact with any of them as I made my way back towards the front of the bus. 

Next time, I will probably pull the mom card and caravan in my own car with babies in the back playing the Frozen soundtrack while Josh goes ahead and participates in the party bus. Lesson learned. 


24 weeks and 4 days



How far along? 24 weeks
Baby is as long as an: ear of corn
Total weight gain: Moved up to 21 pounds. Yeesh. I blame it on the free food.
Waist Measurement: 38 inches
Maternity clothes? Maternity Jessica Simpson jeans! I haven't worn any other maternity clothing this week though. I've worn sweats and more sweats. 
Stretch marks? None that I have noticed, but I am starting to have a harder time even seeing anything other than a giant belly. 
Sleep: Sleep has been great since I got back home. I didn't pack my Snoogle pillow for the ski trip. WHAT WAS I THINKING? That is all I could think about as I got ready for bed each night in the cabin. 
Best moment this week: I really liked getting to know some of the youth better and see their hearts for the Lord. Youth ministry is one of the most overlooked jobs there is, but it is a job that makes grandiose impacts on lives for decades. 
Movement: I loved this jittery baby! Movement is consistent, but not big movements just yet. 
Food cravings: Still toasted pb&j's, sour patch kids, and friggin' fast food (I decided to give up fast food for Lent so we'll see how that goes - baby gets what baby wants). 
Gender: We will find out in 16 weeks!
Symptoms: Just a few throwing up episodes....
Belly Button in or out? It is out, but just barely.

Wedding rings on or off? On
Mood?: Thankful to be home and not snowed in somewhere other than here! 


No comments: