Saturday, March 7, 2015

2nd Pregnancy: Week 27

I am fully aware I cannot fully protect my child from harm or even him going astray as he grows up. I am surprisingly laid back as a 1st time parent, but there are a few things that make me a "helicopter mom" over Shep. The first one is the bathtub. Josh and I don't leave Shepherd unattended at all for even a minute by himself in the bath. There have been a couple of times he has lost his bearings, turned face down in the water, and doesn't realize he can just push himself up in the 4 inch deep water. Within the seconds we pull him out he has already swallowed water and immediately breaks out in a panic cry and signs "all done." 

The other circumstance we hover over Shep is on the stairs. He is fully capable of going up and down the stairs by himself safely by crawling, but there are always the instances when Shepherd's curiosity and confidence outweighs his physical ability. I was just finishing up getting ready, and he knew it was time to head downstairs. I grabbed my already-cooled half cup of coffee and iPad and headed his direction. He squealed with excitement and rounded the corner to the mouth of the stairwell. I started in with "Shep, wait for mommy. SHEP!" Normally getting his attention is enough to distract him, but this time it was a game. Mommy was chasing him so he has to get away! As soon as I turned the corner, I see Shep sitting on the top step and just before I scoop him up with my forearm, he giggles, stretches out his arms, and dives.

Had I not had anything in my hands, I may....may have been able to snatch him out of the air. BUT, again, I was holding a cup of coffee in one hand and an iPad in the other. As I impulsively stretched out to grab his tiny body, not only could I not grab him, but I sprayed my coffee all over him and the carpeted stairs. He slid down a few stairs head down then started rolling. 8 or so stairs later, I was able to stop him and pick him up. He was crying in hysteria and so was I. All I could think was "how in the world did I let this happen" and "thank God he didn't hit his head or have any injuries." He wasn't hurt more than having a little scare. 

It only took him a few minutes to recover and bounce around giggling again. I, however, took at least an hour after sobbing. This little "accident" wasn't what shook me to my core; it was how out of control things will be in my life. I have heard stories of parents looking away for maybe 30 seconds and their toddler is gone and they drown in a river or toilet or run out of the house and go missing. These things happen to good parents and this fear completely encased me this particular morning. I still don't hover over my Shepherd like most 1st-time parents do (or so I'm told). I let him eat food off the ground, make messes, change him on changing tables without wiping them down, etc... But I did buy a baby gate for the top of my stairs! I pray for the safety of Shepherd and this new little baby on the way, but I also pray that this fear of 'freak accidents' doesn't paralyze me from letting my little ones explore, try new things, and learn from their mistakes. 



27 weeks 2 days
How far along? 27 weeks
Baby weighs as much as a: Head of cauliflower
Total weight gain: 25 pounds
Waist Measurement: 38 inches
Maternity clothes?  I wear nothing but maternity clothes unless I am wearing scrubs at work or naked at home. (Just being honest)
Stretch marks? None still!
Sleep: Sleep is AWESOME compared to the 6 months after Shep was born. I keep thinking about how out of my mind tired I was as he woke up every 2-3 hours for those long 6 months, and how I thought I would never sleep again. So even though I get up on average twice a night I have to think about how amazing my sleep really is in comparison to sleeping while raising a newborn. 
Best moment this week: Just being snowed in with my family. I am glad we got to experience this crazy record-breaking snow blizzard while living here in Kentucky. I didn't like driving on two inches of snow all the way in to town to work, but at least I can say I have some experience driving in what the governor declared "a state of emergency."
Movement: Movement has been mainly when I lay down at night on my left side!
Food cravings: Nothing unusual really... this part of pregnancy is SO different from the first.
Miss Anything? I miss being able to make a pallet on the floor and watch a movie comfortably. Seriously the floor can die as far as letting me lay down on them. My hips ache after 45 seconds and I can't lay on my back. So I just switch side to side 300 different times throughout a two hour movie. Misery!
Gender: I am back to thinking this baby is a girl.
Symptoms: None
Belly Button in or out? Out
Wedding rings on or off? On
Mood?: As I was sick this week of pregnancy, I would say my mood wasn't top notch, ,but it also wasn't completely down in the dumps! 

1 comment:

takingshapeslowly said...

It's crazy when you start thinking about it. I see God's protection (Like how Isaiah grew up around cashews and thankfully went into anaphylaxis in America where we could get help quickly.) but still recognize that so much is out of my control. You are a great mom! It's a balance to let them be free and also help them be safe. You're spot on with the bathtub! I didn't leave my boys until they were experienced swimmers and still, I'm not far. It would only take a minute for my whole life to change in a way I don't want it to. Keep finding the right spot for you, Josh and Shep... If you watch more closely than some or are freer than others, what matters is that you three feel comfortable and you are not stressing yourself out. Don't you love my mothering advice by blog comments? Goodness, I'll shut up now.