Tuesday, March 31, 2015

2nd Pregnancy: Week 30

From week 30


There are some instances when, as a mother, you experience moments when your dignity goes down the closest toilet to save your children from, I don't know...dying. "Dying" meaning falling down stairs, choking on a quarter, or, well, you get the idea . In those moments you don't care about self preservation, because it is all about putting your little people's needs first.


On a Monday afternoon during week 30 of my pregnancy, I discovered a little trick after Granna left town.  She brought all kinds of goodies, including Shep's new favorite movie, Cars. I flipped the movie on, which immediately put Shep in a trance. He began to make  engine noises sitting on the floor in his favorite place, the boppy pillow (He may have a mini freak out when he discovers this pillow will soon be baby 2.0's - and no, we don't need a second one as a gift! You know who I am talking to...). I set him up with a bowl of  animal crackers and snuck upstairs shutting the accordion baby gate closed at the bottom of the stairs to take a shower.


4 minutes in to my glorious shower that I desperately needed, I hear a tiny Shep squawk sounding something of a questions like "aehhh?"  I immediately shut off the water to listen for more of his voice. After 10 seconds I heard his little squawk again followed by "ma ma! ma ma ma!" and a shaking of the baby gate below.


I quite literally hopped out of the shower not thinking of covering myself or making myself decent and rushed down the stairs as best as a very pregnant woman can to make sure Shep was still alive and not hurting in any way. At this point, I am soaking wet leaving streaks of puddles behind me as I make my way closer to my son. I am completely lathered in soap including my foamy hair swirled at the top of my head. I had just finished hastily shaving one leg after Lord knows how long since the winter. My mascara, which had not been washed off yet, was streaking down my face under both eyes, which I am positive that sight in itself traumatized Shep for life.


As soon as I was a foot away from Shep he immediately started giggling and ran back to sit in his boppy. Looking like a scary soaking-wet naked diva Medusa, I filled up Shep's empty bowl with more animal crackers without cleaning up the puddles I was leaving behind. Normally I would have been beyond annoyed at the disturbance of my shower, but I just smiled knowing he alive and well....and that no one had seen me in this state.


I made my way back upstairs to finish my shower. 2 minutes later the tiny Shep squawks started again, but I just continued to wash my face and rinse out my conditioner with confidence that Shepherd was going to still be alive in 3-5 minutes when I finished my shower.


As moms, we normally give up every ounce of dignity to preserve the safety and well-being of our little ones. I am glad my "vulnerable self" wasn't seen by anyone but me and Shep, but that is not to say that I wouldn't run down the street in the same condition to save the life of my little one. I am ready to experience funny out-of-body.....and out-of-mind.... experiences for this baby 2.0 too. There will probably be butt cracks revealed as I bend over hastily to scoop something out of someone's mouth or have pureed peas on my face for an entire day without anyone saying anything, but your dignity seems a lot less important when you have the responsibility of someone's life in your hands. We will see what funny stories I have to tell 10 weeks from this moment.





How far along? 30 weeks
Baby is the size of a: butternut squash
Total weight gain: 32 pounds. I think I am averaging 2-3 lbs a week and I just don't even know what to do about it!
Waist Measurement: 39 inches still
Maternity clothes?  Yes, but even those are uncomfortable.
Stretch marks? None, but my skin is definitely stretching just not making any marks.
Sleep: I get up 2-3 times a night. Annoying, but not unbearable.
Best moment this week: Hiking, BBQing, and having game night until midnight with our two really good friends from Texas Tech and their college students from their church. I loved getting to catch up with Kelsey Esgar, who I mentored for 2 years, but ultimately I ended up just being really good friends with her rather than mentoring her.
Movement: Movement is consistent and more down low.
Food cravings: Chicken Strips still and freakin' Ramen noodles. I normally gag at the thought of them, but for some reason they have sounded good this week.
Miss Anything? Being active.
Gender: I am still thinking girl.
Symptoms: I am just extremely uncomfortable at this point. No apparent symptoms other than walking, laying, and just being is uncomfortable.
Belly Button in or out? Out
Wedding rings on or off? On
Mood?: Good - just normal with extra tiredness thrown in.

5 comments:

Terry Peak Photography said...

Elise you could not get any more beautiful! I just stare at those pictures of this post and my heart just fill again... I miss you and love that you have my second grandchild Very close by... See you soon!
Pops

Anonymous said...

LOLOL I'm hoping that it is pureed peas and not pureed pee that sits on your face all day! This blog had me truly laughing out loud. I do know who I am and the new baby might need his/her very own boppy! :-P I love you!

-Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh! And p.s. - so sad that you didn't have a "best moment of the week!"

-Mom

Anonymous said...

I think you may be the prettiest pregnant person I've ever seen. Love you Leesie! Aunt Kim

Anonymous said...

p.s.s. Love Sheppy's shirt! So cute!!