Monday, April 17, 2017

3rd Pregnancy: Week 17

I have got to tell you about my 17th week of pregnancy. I already have low energy in the first trimester, but it hasn't been much better in my second trimester either. Every time I get the call and head to a birth, I use all the adrenaline and birthy endorphins to power through each birth story. Last Thursday I enjoyed a hospital birth and went back the next day to document their baby 24 hours new. Saturday morning I visited another family the day after they had their baby to do another Fresh48 session. While at that session, I got a text from two different moms saying they were in labor. One was planning on having a home birth and the other a birth center birth in Midland. They both slowly progressed all day, and I couldn't tell which one I was going to end up going to first. My back-up photographer was ready to go at any point. I ended up going to the homebirth first and staying almost 30 minutes after she had her baby until I got the text that the other mama had made it to Midland, two hours away, and her water broke. 

Without taking a minute to really think about anything, I jetted out of that birth and drove to Midland. I got there at 2:30am. Her water breaking was really pee and they were all settling down trying to rest. I slept 3.5 hours at my mom's house before heading over to the birth center at 6:30am. 

Around 10am I recieved a text message asking about my friend, Jessica. She didn't make it to church, which is a big deal when you are leading worship on Easter morning. I didn't think much of it until I recieved multiple texts about how Jessica wasn't answering her phone, her car wasn't home, etc... All of a sudden our entire Aldersgate community and the rest of Jessica's friends and family started a serious search to find her. After checking her apartment, the house she was house sitting at, and asking all the people we could think of that may have been at the wedding she attended the night before no one could even find a lead as to where she might be. I felt helpless not being able to physically search for her and emotionally a wreck worrying about the possibilities of what could have happened to her. Finally, she was found several hours later (her story could fill an entire blog post itself). Her disappearance plus my lack of sleep was an interesting recipe for my emotional state. 

All day my client labored beautifully with her husband and doula by her side. I documented, napped, cried about Jessica, documented, ate, napped, cried when they found Jessica, and documented some more. Finally at 9:30am we headed to the hospital. It was clear that my client wasn't able to progress past 5cm. With 2 previous cesareans, we were all cautious of the risks trying for a natural labor. We went when she and baby weren't in distress, but mama was exhausted.

Long story short, my client ended up with a c-section. With her c-section they had complications with cutting her bladder and needing to call in a specialist. She ended up not coming out of the OR until around 3am. I stayed until around 3:30am taking pictures of her older kids meeting their new sister, but I didn't crawl in bed until around 4:30am.

I slept until 8:30am and got up with Sarah, the doula, to head back to Midland. My body was coasting that first day, but the next day I was completely useless. This was by far the hardest week of my pregnancy due to the physical and emotional impact on me. And you know I loved every second of it...except the missing Jessica part. Not that. But everything else was amazing!

Homebirth selfie!

How far along? 17 weeks
Baby is the size of a: Onion
Total weight gain: Honestly I have no idea! I haven't really weighed myself this pregnancy

Waist Measurement: 33 inches 
Maternity clothes? Yes - mainly just pants. I need to bust out my maternity clothes from my other two boys, but I have no idea where I've stored that box after moving from Kentucky.
Stretch marks? None so far.
Sleep: Sleep has been scarce, but that is mainly from attending so many births this week! 
Best moment this week: Getting to witness such different births this week from hospital birth to home birth to birth center transfer to cesarean.
Movement: Not really any movement, but Kelli, the midwife in Midland, measured baby's heartbeat. HIS heartbeat was 155-160 RPM. I'm pretty sure it is a boy.
Food cravings: Nothing, in particular, this week - just eating enough to survive this crazy schedule! 
Miss Anything? Just rebounding after I miss a lot of sleep. I used to be fine after getting up at 3am, but this preggy body feels it for days afterwards.
Gender: We won't find out again this time around, but I have a strong feeling this babe is a boy. #momofboys
Symptoms: Still morning sickness every morning.
Belly Button in or out? In still
Wedding rings on or off? On
Mood?: Exhausted, but loving my job!

No comments: